So...here are some amaaaazing recipies that have met my cheapo-cost, yummy-taste, and goof-for-you-health standards:
1.) Chicken and Avocado Salad with Lime and Cilantro
- 2 cups cooked chicken (I used breast), shredded into large pieces (rotisserie, baked, boiled, etc)
- 2 medium avocados
- 1 Tbsp and 1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice (used in two parts of the recipe, not 2 together)
- Salt, to taste (don't use too much --- you can always add more at the table.)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion (optional? I did not use this...)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro -- This really MAKES the flavor! YUM!
- 2 Tbsp mayo or light mayo
- Shred the chicken apart until you have 2 cups of chicken (or more, depending on how much you want to make) that are still in fairly large chunks
- Dice the avocados into medium-sized pieces
- Mix avocado with 1 Tbsp of the lime juice, and season avocado with salt to taste
- Thinly slice the green onion (optional) and finely chop the cilantro.
- Mix mayo and (the other) 1 Tbsp lime juice to make the dressing
- Put the chicken into a bowl large enough to hold all the ingredients.
- Add the sliced green onions (optional) and dressing and toss until all the chicken is coated with dressing.
- Add the avocado and any lime juice in the bottom of the bowl and gently combine with the chicken. Then add the chopped cilantro and gently mix into the salad, just until it is barely combined.
- Serve right away or chill for a while before serving. I think it is better after everything settles and is completely chilled!
***I also like mine with a little more salt and lime... feel free to add any more ingredients to taste as you see fit after making it like this first!***
This could be served inside pita bread or sandwich bread, or inside crisp lettuce cups, but we just ate it as a salad, plain protien and veggies! YUMMM!
This also makes a pretty nice amount, but I like to snack on it as well as eat it for lunch and dinner... so it only lasts a day or so with one person. Feel free to doube or triple or whatever this -- the more the merrier! It is FREAKING FANTASTIC! like seriously, it will change your life! SOOO GOOOOOOOD!
2.) Tuna Salad Lettuce Wraps with Capers and Tomatoes
- 10-12 oz. canned tuna (water only - NOT oil)
- 1/4 cup mayo or light mayo
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery (optional? I didnt use this..)
- 1 Tbsp capers, chopped (holy yes buy these! Delish!)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional? I didnt use these either...)
- 8 large lettuce leaves, washed and dried (romaine, iceberg or butter lettuce will work for this)
- 1/2 cup chopped cherry tomatoes (optional..YUMMY! I did use these! Grape/etc. work too!)
- Drain water out of tuna.
- Stir together the mayo, lemon juice, and salt.
- Cut lettuce apart and pick out 8 large leaves. Wash lettuce and spin dry in a salad spinner or dry with paper towels. Chop the celery and capers and thinly slice the green onions. Chop tomatoes if using.
- Put the tuna in a bowl (with a snap-tight lid if you won't be eating it all at once.) Stir in the dressing until it's well-distributed in the tuna, then mix in the celery, capers, and green onions.
- Fill lettuce leaves with the tuna mixture, garnish with cherry tomatoes, and eat with your hands. YUM!
- Keeps well in the fridge for several days
3.) Pineapple Honey Chicken (grill or bake)
1 cup crushed pineapple
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered cloves